Sunday, June 19, 2011

My First Steps Into The Ugly World Of Grown-Ups

Today I was physically sexually harassed for the first time. I did not do anything. At first I didn't even notice. I hadn't once thought that it would happen to me. Then I thought it was my fault. Then I decided I won't tell anyone, because I was ashamed. I was angry. Now I was angry with myself. And him and all the other people on the bus. Then I thought. When I got off the bus I decided I won't be angry. I will tell everyone. I will tell everyone that it happened to me and that I didn't do anything. But I will also tell them that next time it won't go unnoticed. علشان أنا بتاعة نفسي مش بتاعة حد.



"Welcome to the ugly world of grown ups.."
                              -Hala Omar, my godmother
Cairo, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment