Monday, August 1, 2011

Ahmed Abou El Ela

        If you only know one thing about me, it would probably be that I hate kids. All of them. Ever since my first sit-in- the Shafik sit-in (25 Feb - 9 March) street children have been sitting-in with us. I first met Ahmed Abou El Ela during this sit-in. After it was dispersed I honestly didn't even think of him, was surprised to actually meet him at the #Jul8 sit-in. Nazly had started #TahrirSchool at the square and Ahmed was a student there. Ahmed likes to draw. One day during this last sit-in, he drew a line down the middle of the paper, and drew some stick people with a house behind them on one side. On the other side he drew a female stick person with a house behind her, and a male stick person with a house behind him. He explained that the male and female stick people were married and that the few stick people on the other side were their children. I asked him: "Shouldn't the parents and kids be living together?" He said: "No." I hated every last inconsiderate bit of myself. Ahmed took my phone and took a photo of the couple. Ever since I had developed a non-hate relationship with Ahmed. According to Ahmed, his father is a shoe-wiper at Kobri El Khashab and his mother sells vegetables. Ahmed's been missing since the sit-in was dispersed on Monday, August 1st. 



Ahmed with Leil, Lobna and Rasha in front of tent, by Lilian Wagdy
He wrote his name in my notebook
 

No comments:

Post a Comment